Tona took gold in the females 46kg and 49kg division and gave her an opportunity to test out her Olympic competition. The Kairuku lass also took part in the 53kg and 56kg division as part of her coach’s strategy.
According to The National, Tona’s coach Andy Rutten texted a message to Taekwondo PNG’s president Ila Ower confirming the good news. The 23 year old martial artist won two gold medals in in the 46 and 49kg category. She also took silver in the 53kg division after losing by one point to her opponent Taiwanese Olympian Hwa-tien Lin.
Tona could not be at the 1st National Taekwondo Championships held on Sunday at the Sir John Guise stadium due to this competition.
- Taekwondo championships a success (pngwarrior.com)
- Tona wins gold (pngwarrior.com)
- Taekwondo trials set for Sunday (pngwarrior.com)
- 1st National Taekwondo Championships in May (pngwarrior.com)
- Bougainville Taekwondo team motivated (pngwarrior.com)
- Taekwondo trials deferred (pngwarrior.com)
- Basil is Taekwondo PNG Patron (pngwarrior.com)
Latest posts by Bernard Sinai (see all)
- Kyokushin kicking drills with Shihan Cameron Quinn - October 24, 2017
- How Real Samurai Warriors Fought - March 27, 2017
- Highlights of Adrian ‘The Hunter’ Pang’s MMA Fights - March 24, 2017